Monday, August 10, 2009

Yes, I can.

Lately Max has been answering all my questions with, "Yes, I can." Or.....

"Max, did you wash your hands?" "Yes, I did."
"Max, will you bring me my car keys?" "Yes, I will."
"Max, do you know how to go pee-pee?" "Yes, I do."
"Max, did you eat the dog food?" "No, I did not."
"Max, were you driving my car?" "No, I can't. I not old enough."

I love how matter-of-fact he is and honest. I asked him how something got broken the other day and suggested that it was an accident, or that the dog had done it and he said, "No, mommy. I did it. I broke it. It was me!" He was insistent that he did it.

He's also becoming more and more headstrong each day. He's always been strong-willed and stubborn, but lately he's testing everything all over again with new will power, stamina, and manipulative technique. I'm quite impressed most days and then on the days I have no patience to deal with another question or suggestion or complaint, well, I'm sure you can guess. Bed time has become an increasingly frustrating time in our household for this very reason. By the end of the day I'm tired and he tells me he's hungry, he's thirsty, he has to pee, he needs a stuffed animal, he wants to watch a movie, he needs one more book, he wants to sleep in our bed, it's not night-time, he's not tired, blah, blah blah. Until we leave with him screaming in his bed. It's awful. Last night I got so frustrated because I was trying to help him get comfortable and he told me to stop touching his blanket, then he wanted his bear next to him so I picked it up and put it next to him and he told me to stop touching his bear. So, I was so ticked I left. That's just how it goes these days. Sigh.

One last Maxism is, "Don't want you to talk at me please." He says this when he gets angry or frustrated or hurt and doesn't want you to pay attention to the situation at hand. In other words it's his way of avoiding the current situation. He use to just say "Don't talk at me!" But I told him that was rude and he should say, "Please don't talk to me right now" and it turned in to "Don't talk at me please." ha!

And, his latest is that he'll run up to me and sit in my lap, throw his arm around my neck and say, "We love each other." I'll agree and then he'll add, "Let's give hugs!" I love it!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to up-date us! I love the stories about Max, very well written and very entertaining to read. -Angie

    ReplyDelete